Current:Home > MarketsLou Conter, the final USS Arizona survivor from Pearl Harbor, dies at 102 -VitalWealth Strategies
Lou Conter, the final USS Arizona survivor from Pearl Harbor, dies at 102
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 01:09:36
Lou Conter, the final surviving crewmember of those aboard the USS Arizona during the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, has passed away at 102, according to multiple reports.
Surrounded by family in Grass Valley, California, Conter took his final breath, his daughter told KCRA 3. The veteran had been in hospice for the past four weeks, the Sacramento, California-based TV station reported.
Conter is expected to receive a ceremony with full military honors, according to KCRA 3.
Conter went on to survive being shot down in WWII
Conter was one of the 335 sailors aboard the USS Arizona who survived on Dec. 7, 1941. The Arizona lost 1,177 sailors and Marines during the Japanese attack, according to the National WWII Museum.
Several years later, a 20-year-old Conter, was quartermaster third class when his patrol bomber was shot down seven miles off the coast of New Guinea causing the seaplane's 10-man crew to fall into the Pacific Ocean.
Once in the water, Conter and his crew were not alone.
"We had 10 or 12 sharks around us all the time," Conter recalled. "I told the men, 'If a shark comes close, hit it in the nose with your fist as hard as you can.'"
Conter went on to have a decorated naval career, a vast real estate portfolio
Conter would serve through World War II before going to Korea. He then taught U.S. troops survival, evasion, resistance and escape skills in 1954. His legacy includes helping establish training bases in Florida and California, and in 1965 he came back to Pearl Harbor to author a training manual for troops heading to Vietnam.
Conter ultimately retired from the Navy in 1967, settled in Palm Springs and had a flourishing real estate career in California where he bought land for commercial and residential projects. He was a lieutenant commander at the time of his retirement.
When Conter was 93 years old he said everything he endured throughout his career was a part of his job, a sentiment he shared with every soldier and airman who took his classes.
Conter was also a part of the USS Arizona Reunion Association allowing him to stay in touch with the few remaining survivors.
When the country lost 102-year-old Ken Potts in April 2023, Conter became the last living survivor aboard the USS Arizona.
"They call a lot of us heroes, and I've always said we are not the heroes,” Conter told KCRA 3. “Heroes are the ones right there that day that lost their lives. They gave everything up. We got back to the States. We got married. We had kids and grandkids. We are still here. They were lost forever right then and there."
Contributing: Shaun McKinnon for The Arizona Republic
veryGood! (74)
Related
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- North Carolina Rep. Manning’s office says she has broken sternum after three-vehicle wreck
- Rare otter attack injures three women floating on inner tubes on popular Montana river
- Play it again, Joe. Biden bets that repeating himself is smart politics
- Tropical rains flood homes in an inland Georgia neighborhood for the second time since 2016
- It's an 8-second video. But it speaks volumes about Lamar Jackson, Black QBs and dreams.
- Americans love shrimp. But U.S. shrimpers are barely making ends meet
- Oppenheimer's nuclear fallout: How his atomic legacy destroyed my world
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Black fraternity and engineers group pull conventions out of Florida, over state's racist policies
Ranking
- Organizers cancel Taylor Swift concerts in Vienna over fears of an attack
- Underwhelming U.S. team slumps into Women’s World Cup knockout game against familiar foe
- Biden’s inaction on death penalty may be a top campaign issue as Trump and DeSantis laud executions
- Big Ten has cleared the way for Oregon and Washington to apply for membership, AP sources say
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Of Course, Kim Kardashian's New Blonde Hair Transformation Came With a Barbie Moment
- Authorities identify another victim in Gilgo Beach serial killing investigation
- Investigation timeline of Gilgo Beach murders
Recommendation
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
At Yemeni prosthetics clinic, the patients keep coming even though the war has slowed
Remains found in shallow grave in 2007 identified as Florida woman who was never reported missing
AP Week in Pictures: North America
What polling shows about Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, Harris’ new running mate
Tim McGraw Reveals His Daughters Only Want to Sing With Mom Faith Hill
Ex-police union boss gets 2 years in prison for $600,000 theft
‘Back to the Future’ review: Broadway musical is a dazzling joyride stuck on cruise control